As the Christmas period is quickly approaching we know you are all excited to decorate your homes, however we all need to be aware of the tragedies that can be caused by fire hazards at this time of year.
If you’re thinking of purchasing a real tree this Christmas there are a few things you need to be aware of:
- Real trees burn rapidly – It’s always best to keep a tree in a bucket of water to prevent the tree from drying out.
- Dispose of your tree quickly – the quicker you do it the better. Trees are a massive fire risk and storing it in a garage or garden could be potential fuel for a fire.
- The needles should be green and hard to pull back from branches – if the needles fall out easily that means the tree has been cut a long time ago and has dried out causing a fire hazard.
- Check fuses (see the box for the maximum size fuse you should use)
- If any bulbs have blown, replace them
- Never leave fairy lights on when you go out
- Make sure the bulbs aren’t touching anything that could burn easily
- Don’t overload sockets
- Decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard can burn easily
- Never attach decorations to lights or heaters
- Never put them above the fireplace
- Keep away from candles
Don’t forget to turn all electrical items off at night.