Bonfire night is just around the corner and there are plenty of safe ways to enjoy the fireworks.
There are lots of Bonfire events around Northamptonshire (find a list below!) for you and your family, and as they are organised by professionals, these are usually the safest way to enjoy firework displays. We know, however, that some of you may buy your own fireworks. These should only be bought from a licenced retailer with a CE mark (this will still apply post Brexit).
To make sure that people of all ages can enjoy the celebrations here’s a few things you should keep in mind:
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time
- Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary
- Keep fireworks away from an ignition source
- Inform your neighbours before hand
- Keep all pets inside
- Make sure you are checking your surroundings before setting off fireworks as wildlife like to hide in leaves
- Do not drink alcohol if you’re lighting the fireworks
- Light fireworks at arm’s length
- Never go back to a firework that has been lit – even if it hasn’t gone off
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Always have a bucket of water at hand for emergencies
- Never carry fireworks in pockets
- Supervise young children
- Sparklers should be kept away from children under five.
If you’re caught misusing fireworks you may be liable for an on the spot fine of £80. If found guilty by the courts you could get a fine of up to £5,000.
Remember, it is an offence to:
- Buy adult fireworks if you are under 18
- Set off fireworks in the street or other public places
- Set off fireworks between 11.00 pm and 7.00 am
Looking for a Bonfire event? Here’s what’s on in Northamptonshire:
Wicksteed Park, Kettering, NN15 6NJ
Saturday 2nd November – 5pm
Wellingborough Rugby Club Fireworks, Great Doddington, Wellingborough, NN29 7TZ
Friday 1st November – 6pm
The Racecourse, Northampton, NN1 4LG – FREE!
Sunday 3rd November – 2pm – 7pm
Hall Park, Rushden
Saturday 2nd November – 6.30pm
Finedon Dolben Cricket Club, NN9 5JJ
Saturday 2nd November – 7pm
You can find more information on Northants Fire and Rescue Service here.
Source: Wellingborough Council, Northants Police and Northants Fire and Rescue.