What to do before applying for a mutual exchange.
- Make sure any repairs that you are responsible for in the list below have been completed prior to submitting your application, including replacing any doors that you may have removed during your tenancy.
- If there are any repairs that you think we are responsible for, please call our customer services team to report these.
- Please ensure that your home and garden are clean, tidy and free from clutter and rubbish so that when we arrange for our surveyor to complete his inspection he can do so safely and thoroughly.
You are responsible for…
- Most interior decoration
- Anything that you have installed yourself (see below for further details), or that is a non-standard item installed by a previous customer e.g wash hand basins, sockets, light switches etc
- Replacing the batteries in smoke alarms
- TV aerials and satellite dishes (unless communal), and aerial/satellite/phone sockets
- Unblocking sinks, basins, baths and WCs (where the blockage is within your boundary and is not caused by faulty pipework)
- Plugs and chains
- Garden maintenance (unless communal)
- Replacing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- Replacement or additional house and/or window keys
- Bolts to gates and doors
- Broken glass to windows and doors unless it is a stress fracture (has no impact point), or unless it is a result of criminal damage (a crime reference number will be required)
- Driveway maintenance
- Any damage caused by yourself, your family, or visitors to the property, even if it is accidental. We will only repair any criminal damage if you can provide a valid crime reference number
- Toilet seats
- Letterbox plates
- Child-proofing measures
- Anything other than emergency repairs during the first year if you have exchanged properties with someone else
- Sheds (unless fitted by Greatwell Homes)
- Condensation and mould
- Electricity, gas and water meters.
We are responsible for…
- Home structure – inside and out
- Guttering and downpipes
- Smoke alarm installation & repair, other than battery replacement
- Heating and hot water systems, including boiler servicing and gas safety (but not servicing or repairing your own gas appliances)
- Kitchens, bathrooms and WCs that we have installed
- Internal communal areas in flats, external communal areas where it is Greatwell Homes land (we can always check this for you)
- Garages that you rent from us
- Paths, steps, ramps, etc. leading to and from the property within the boundary
- Some boundary walls and fences (please call us to clarify)
If you are planning on altering the property other than decorating, you will need to ask us for permission before you start. We will want to know what you plan on doing, measurements and plans where relevant, and we will want your assurances that it will be carried out by a qualified person.
You will be responsible for maintaining any work you carry out yourself and you may be asked to return the property to the original condition at the end of your tenancy. Full details of this will be provided should permission for the work be given. You may also want to check with the local authority to see if you will require planning permission or if they have any additional requirements.
Greatwell Homes would like to remind all customers considering a mutual exchange that you are responsible for viewing the property fully and ensuring that it is suitable for the needs of you and your family. Greatwell Homes will not complete any repairs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the customer.